Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bikers gone bad Long Island July 2010

Our first bike ride together! We decided to rent a bike in Queens Village on a Sunday afternoon. We took the Long Island Rail Road to the Village and picked it up. I was a little skeptical, just because I hadn't ridden a motorcycle since I was in grade school. But I knew Todd would be a good driver (and I prayed a little too!).

It was a spontaneous trip and we didn't know where we were going or where we'd stop for the night. Which made it even more fun and exciting.

We rode along Long Island and just headed towards the North fork. A couple hours into the trip the sky was getting darker and we could tell a storm was moving in. I suggested we stop while we were in a small town for lunch. But Todd thought he could beat the storm...so we kept riding. About 15 minutes later, the storm hit and it started pouring, when we were outside the town...but did I say anything? Did I say "I told you so?"...nope.. (but inside I was). We pulled off to the side of the road and tried to seek cover under a big tree. That didn't help too much. We were soaked. Did I say we were seeking adventure? I guess we found it.

We rode back to the town and parked. We found a restaurant to eat at-a good mexican place. The server was so nice and didn't mind that we were leaving puddles where we sat.

The rain was lighting up so we got back on the road. We rode through ___________ as the wind was drying our clothes out. We were on the lookout for a store where we could buy some cheap clothes. Only when you're looking for something is when you don't find it. We ended up at a Walgreens and bought a couple of cheap t-shirts.

We had ridden long enough that our clothes had mostly dried out.

We ended up coming to ______________ where we found a hotel that had a vacancy. It was an upperscale hotel; it was fortunate that there was a room available.

When we got to the room, I used a heat lamp to dry out our jeans. Fortunately, I had a dress that I had worn to church that I could wear.

We thought this had been one of our most fun trips because of the spontaneity; not knowing what was ahead of us; the thrill of riding and not knowing where you were going to end up. Not packing what we needed but finding the resources we needed or make do with what we had.

We explored the town; watched cars load a ferry to be transported across the water to Rhode Island.

We settled back in the hotel and ate at the restaurant there. Had a wonderful meal-steak, cheese and fries fondue with a wonderful view of the water.

We were pretty wiped out and Todd crashed when we got back to the room. I was still awake and watched Miss Congeniality II. Had to. It was a moral imperative. These are the movies I have to watch when Todd is asleep.

Had the complimentary breakfast in the morning and then got back on the road. Didn't have as much time today since we had to return the bike late morning. It was a beautiful day for riding. Perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment