Friday, July 23, 2010

Anniversary weekend July 9th-Greenport, NY

We had debated what to do for our 4th Anniversary weekend. Thursday evening, we bounced ideas around on where to go.

Friday afternoon I did a little bit of research of which Bed and Breakfast to stay at in the Greenport, NY area. One caught my eye- Ruby's Cove. I liked the looks of the web-site; I had a good intuition about it. I called and left a message. The voicemail stated that there was one room available and whoever called first, would get the room. I left a message and let it go. If it was right, it would work out, if not, something else would. I headed to the reading room and got a call from the innkeeper, Donna, asking if we still wanted a room! It's amazing what happens when you let go. I called Todd real quick and he thought it would work. I called her back and reserved the room. It was now 4:00 and the train left at 5:20! I still had to go home and pack.

I rushed home, threw stuff together, ran to the bus stop and caught the bus. I arrived at the Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn shortly after 5:00. Todd joined me shortly after and we got on the train.

The train ride was scenic-lush and green; we enjoyed watching the scenery pass by and feel the rhythmic rock of the train lulling us to relaxation.

We arrived and the innkeeper had insisted to pick us up (I had said several times politely that we would enjoy walking but I didn't want to be ungracious). She picked us up; I could tell right away we were going to hit it off. She was spunky, enthusiastic and had a good sense of humor. We enjoyed listening to her as she gave us a quick tour of the town.

It looked like there were quite a few good restaurants to choose from. We had dinner reservations at the Frisky Oyster, which the innkeeper said was a good choice. We unloaded our stuff and then walked to the restaurant. It was casual could be a bit formal atmosphere. Where we felt comfortable in our summer attire of shorts.

Todd ordered the Steak Tar Tar and I ordred the squash stuffed with lobster. We shared sweet corn soup which was really good. My dish was different, but I enjoy trying new things. I had cherry vanilla hot tea, which was tastey. For dessert we shared the key lime pie (which the one my Mom makes is much better-but I didn't tell our waiter that).

It had stared to rain-so we walked back in the rain! Which was an adventure.

We sat on the front porch and chatted. We like front porches.

In the morning, the shades were pulled, making the room darker making it seem like it was a lot earlier than it was. We could hear the rain pitter patter outside our windows. We rested and listened to the rain. It was already 8:30! Which I hardly ever sleep in that late.

The innkeeper cooked everyone breakfast and it was scrumptious! She made scrambled eggs with fetta cheese and mushrooms, fresh asparagus, a platter of fresh fruit and bagels with lottes. Yum! She sat down with us and chatted (she's pretty chatty-but fun to talk to).

First, we decided to walk through all of the town, which took us a couple of hours to see everything. It started pouring so we hung out at a second hand shop (we just happened to be at a second hand shop. I was really disappointed...).

Everyone in the town was friendly; it seemed more friendly than usual compared to other small towns.

We loved the town. It had it's own individuality and quirkiness. It felt the towns people could express their own individuality and other towns people were accepting and embracing the uniqueness. There were many quirky stores (which I lovvvvvee). There seemed to be more unique stores than usual. Poor Todd. I guess he doesn't mind going through them all.

We walked to the Lighthouse Museum and we enjoyed going through that.

We went back to the B&B and borrowed the bikes the innkeeper loans for free. We rode outside of town quite a ways. We rode through E. Marion and Orient.

We saw a lavendar farm! That was incredible. A whole field full of lavendar. We pulled over to take a look at the lavendar gift shop. What a treat.

It was late afternoon and we were feeling pretty hungry, so after riding through Orient small town, we stopped at a old fashioned grocery store (reminded me of the one that was in Dover, KS, where I went to grade school). It had an old wooden front porch with an old screened front door. It had old real hard wood floors; supplies consisting mainly of food staples, fresh eggs, and fresh milk in old fashioned bottles. It was a trip down memory lane. There was a man behind the counter that took his time making our sandwich, giving it all his attention, crafting it to the best of his ability, placing thick slabs of roast beef on the home made bun. I didn't want to rush his concentration. He rang up the sandwich and gave it to us, like it was his prized treasure, wanting to share something wonderful with us. We went back outside and sat on the front porch, watching few passerbys and waving. The first bite in to the sandwich, I could tell it was worth the wait. It was one of the best roast beef sandwiches I've had.

After taking our time with the tastey sandwich, we walked down the street (where we left the bikes outside) to the ice cream shop where Todd wanted a root beer float. This tasted like an every day root beer float you may make at your home, but we were grateful for the refreshment to cool us off.

We felt ready to bike back to Greenport. The trip back went a lot quicker than the trip there. Probably, due to our many stops and gazing at the sites we passed by.

Next door to the B&B is a brewery in an old firehouse. They were allowing customers to try several different flavors for a nominal price. He enjoys tasting different beers. I'm not a beer drinker, but stayed with him while he enjoyed the tasting.

It was time to catch the train but we were not quite ready to go. It still seemed like we could've stayed another day and soaked up more of the uniqueness that was in the air.




No comments:

Post a Comment